Lilypie Maternity tickers

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Maturity report

Out of 19 eggs retrieved 15 were mature and were injected with sperm.  I asked the embryologist if the eggs looked good and she said, "They looked very high quality.  We had plenty of sperm so we are good to go."

I am so happy.  It is kinda unreal to know that we have 15 potential babies growing 20 miles away.  Grow embies, grow!!!!!!!

As far as today went, it kinda sucked.  It's a little easier to remember it more fondly now that I can breathe a sigh of relief.  For posterity's sake, here was a breakdown of today feel free to not read :) -

We woke up at 5:50 am.  I slept horribly - this is partly because I work nights but mostly because I was uncomfortable/scared/nervous/excited.  I showered last night with minimal soap so just had to get dressed and leave.  We drove through McDonald's to get DH coffee and a sausage mcmuffin - I was so hungry and this was just mean :)

We arrived at the clinic at 7:10 am and they quickly rushed DH back to give his sample.  I was very nervous about this because as he was getting dressed this morning he said, "I sure hope I am able to produce".  Umm, YEAH!  I said nothing and didn't harp on it because I didn't want to put any added pressure but Jesus Hell that scared the shit out of me.  Thankfully it was not an issue.

While he was back they ushered me to the ivf lab right down the hall.  I changed into gown and hat.  Anesthesia talked to me, the wonderful nurse Cate started my IV on the first stick and then Dr Alan came into talk to us.  I voiced my fears about OHSS and he made me feel lots better.  He said in his experience it is less to do with the estrogen level and more to do with the amount of eggs they get - he said anything over 20-25 would put me at risk.  He said most IVFers get a mild form of it so I should expect to be uncomfortable or bloated-but to call him for any severe pain, nausea/vomiting, weight gain or shortness of air.

I then kissed DH goodbye and walked across the hall.  The stirrups were kinda scary but other than that it was fine.  Dr Alan started setting up while the anesthesiologist gave me Zofran and Versed.  The last thing I remember is saying, "I will be asleep before he sticks that big needle in, right?", giggling, then I was suddenly in recovery.  I was a mess crying - not because of pain but just emotional.  The doctors came in and said they had to give me a LOT of anesthesia, that I kept moving around.  WOW I'm glad I don't remember that but oh well.

Dr Alan said he thought they got 14 eggs but the embryologist would be in soon - and she said 19.  I was so happy with that number!

They gave me some crackers and sprite, I took a Tylenol #3, and they discharged me.  I was only in recovery for about 15-20 minutes after I woke up which I think is too quick but whatever.  I got very nauseated on the ride home.  I took a zofran pill when I got home-the nausea and pain was unbearable - I was on the toilet straining to pee and thought my bladder was going to explode!  I ate 3 bites of soup, curled into a ball with the heating pad (thanks for the tip ladies!) and fell asleep.  I slept for a couple of hours and woke up starving and hurting!  I then ate a sandwich and took a vicodin that was left over from some dental work I had done last year.

That finally did it.  Now it just feels like very severe cramps - the worst ever imaginable but tolerable.

I can't wait for the update tomorrow!  Man this is a crazy process!

9 comments:

  1. Yay Marianne! So glad to hear everything went awesome today!!! Now grow embies grow!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations the worst physically is over! Rest up and will be praying for lots of healthy embryos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad they set your mind at rest for OHSS. Congrats on the great numbers!!! Can't wait to hear how they develop over the next few days and months and years! :) Grow, little ones, grow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on such good numbers! I hope that your embryos grow big and strong!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic result... great numbers :)) Cheering your little ones on too xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry that you're feeling so miserable, but 15 fertilized is awesome! I'm happy for you. Grow Embies! Grow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on your results! Great news!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah! What wonderful news! Can't wait to here about the envies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How awesome to have so many growing! Hoping you continue to receive good news the rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete