I did a lot of research (a.k.a. googling yesterday) about sleep training. The thing I read that made me most happy is to tackle the night first, then move on to naps. While sleep training it is best that they get good naps and are well-rested. So yesterday she took her first nap in her crib for about an hour and half. Nap 2 in the afternoon was in my lap on the couch - two hours.
Last night I could tell she was getting tired at 6:30 pm (always goes down early when she has 2 naps - with 3 naps shes up til 9 or 10). We went up to the nursery. I nursed her, then rocked her while humming. She was asleep in about 10 minutes. I rocked her for a few more minutes and put her down. Over the next few hours I heard her fuss momentarily, saw her flip over and stick her butt up in the air (cutest thing ever-see pic below), but never cry. She didn't wake up crying until 3:45!!!!!! That is the longest she has ever slept - 8.75 hours straight!
I went in and picked her up (I guess we can't call what we are doing cry it out exactly, more like fuss it out). She was crying and had been asleep longer than she ever had so I nursed her and rocked her. I put her down before she was completely asleep though. And she fussed and rocked while holding onto the siderails for only about 2 minutes before she laid down and PUT HERSELF TO SLEEP!
My husband was mad that I nursed her because we really want to end the night feeds but nursing once at night sure beats 6-8 times a night which had been her norm recently!
Obviously I know our sleep drama is not over completely, but we are sure making strides. She and I can both do this, if we get off track at some point we just have to jump back in.
Last night I could tell she was getting tired at 6:30 pm (always goes down early when she has 2 naps - with 3 naps shes up til 9 or 10). We went up to the nursery. I nursed her, then rocked her while humming. She was asleep in about 10 minutes. I rocked her for a few more minutes and put her down. Over the next few hours I heard her fuss momentarily, saw her flip over and stick her butt up in the air (cutest thing ever-see pic below), but never cry. She didn't wake up crying until 3:45!!!!!! That is the longest she has ever slept - 8.75 hours straight!
I went in and picked her up (I guess we can't call what we are doing cry it out exactly, more like fuss it out). She was crying and had been asleep longer than she ever had so I nursed her and rocked her. I put her down before she was completely asleep though. And she fussed and rocked while holding onto the siderails for only about 2 minutes before she laid down and PUT HERSELF TO SLEEP!
My husband was mad that I nursed her because we really want to end the night feeds but nursing once at night sure beats 6-8 times a night which had been her norm recently!
Obviously I know our sleep drama is not over completely, but we are sure making strides. She and I can both do this, if we get off track at some point we just have to jump back in.


Nice work! What a change, suffering through the initial training is so worth it!
ReplyDeleteOH yes. And I know it is a process and will have to happen over and over again but I am just so relieved that my baby had not completely lost the skills to fall asleep by herself :)
Delete