I swear I've asked most of these before but bear with me..I have a few random questions and a few random thoughts..
I am just so sick of all of this. If the fates have decided that we are not meant to have children at all then I just want to know now. I don't want to keep googling things like, "adoption agencies" "ivf success rates" "genetic reasons for low sperm counts" "donor sperm psychological implications" "ivf financing" "antioxidant sperm production" "hormonal reasons for low sperm count".
- I have read about clomid increasing sperm counts and sometimes motility. I have also read however that it does not necessarily improve pregnancy rates. Why is this? Any success stories with actual numbers?
- Reasons for such a low sperm count in DH...physical exam was normal, testosterone slightly low, unsure if any other hormones were tested. Genetic testing next...exactly what tests should be ordered? How long do they take to get back? What do the results mean?
- HOW THE HELL DOES ANYONE EVER AFFORD IVF?
- ahem. That last one should probably read, "How will we ever be able to afford it?". Seriously? Why is it so expensive?
- I just read online about a new study showing taking extra antioxidants improves sperm count and function. Anyone know anything about this? There are about a million antioxidant supplements out there.
- Ummm I have just started to have an interest in adoption. DH has a cousin or friend or someone he knows who had a bad experience and he has said from the beginning, "I just am not comfortable adopting." Do you think that statement is open for discussion or should I just shut the fuck up for now and cross that bridge later if we need to?
I am just so sick of all of this. If the fates have decided that we are not meant to have children at all then I just want to know now. I don't want to keep googling things like, "adoption agencies" "ivf success rates" "genetic reasons for low sperm counts" "donor sperm psychological implications" "ivf financing" "antioxidant sperm production" "hormonal reasons for low sperm count".

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I was in your shoes back in September 2009 when we got our SA results. Horrible on all fronts, less than 1% Chavez of conceiving naturally. We were forced to do 3 iui s before moving on to ivf supposedly the protocol for our clinic. We took out 2 loans and did the shared risk program which allows for 3 ivf and all frozen transfers. You get money back or continue if you miscarry before 20 weeks. See if your clinic offers anything like that. Rob never took anything to improve his counts. We were told the morphology issue was too severe to ever improve. Not sure if that was true. As far as testing w both did chromosome tests on ourselves. Rob also did a sperm DNA fragmenation test which shows if the sperm can fertilize normally. Everything came back normal. But once we started ivf my egg quality came into question. Embryos kept dying and I had two chemical pregnancies. Only way to know if the embryos are normal is to test them individually. It can be expensive and our clinic would have to send them away for the test do we didn't. I'm extremely lucky we found one good one out of 26 embryos. We still have 5 frozen. Best of luck and I also looked up adoption stuff just in case. If it'd important to you ask your DJ about it. Hugs and let me know if you have other questions!
ReplyDeleteSorry for all the typos!
ReplyDeleteI am no help on the questions, but I have heard of clomid helping men with low sperm counts. It is so hard to plan for stuff like this with so many options with no real feeling that it will actually work. thinking of you!
ReplyDeleteAlthough our situation is a bit different - my DH didn't have anything in the s/a, the hormone tests showed normal everything, except high FSH meaning, his body thought he should be producing, but wasn't, so the FSH goes up to try to "produce" what isn't there. Its a result of the azoo, not the cause. I'm sure they tested for that for your DH.
ReplyDeleteMy advice: Get second, or third opinions. See experts. Its so much more helpful to see someone who specializes in what we're dealing with.
And yes, all this is SO expensive. Its not fair.
Good luck!
SO so many questions! Yep, sounds way too familiar!
ReplyDeleteI second Rebekah's comment... Find a specialist who you can work with, and get multiple opinions. A regular urologist is not going to be of much help - unless wasted time and money is considered help...
Affording IVF, hmmm, I just had to get to a place in my head where I felt grateful that it was an option. We stopped saving for retirement, cut back on all extra expenses, and have essentially prioritized fertility treatments over any other expense for the past 2 years. I look at our finances and am really amazed at how we have been able to afford it all, especially with ML out of work for so long. We haven't had to dip into savings, yet, which has made it easier for me to swallow, yet we do have some savings set aside in case it comes to that.
Ohhh - counseling, that has been an extra cost, but a lifesaver for me in dealing with all of this. We went together every week for a year, and now I go on my own. It helps me to reframe all of my crazy swirling thoughts into a more productive and positive outlook, and also helps me figure out how to talk to ML in a way that is constructive for both of us. I highly recommend counseling to everyone who is on this journey!
much love to you... :)
Unfortunately, we are currently going thru similar issues re: test results. My DH doesn't have a low count, but he has poor motility and low semen quality/quantity which has left us trying for over 3 years. We saw the RE and he did all the hormone testing and discovered that DH had low LH levels but other hormones were fine. The RE suggested Clomid to increase the LH and hopefully improve the motility, however the urologist was against it. Our Urologist said that Clomid would increase the LH, Testosterone, and FSH levels. The problem with this would be that by fixing one thing, we would be creating problems with the other levels that were currently okay. I am not sure if this is why Clomid sometimes improves count/motility but it doesn't improve chances to conceive - because you are messing up other levels in the process of fixing counts and motility??
ReplyDeleteAnyway, it is a bad situation regardless. And although I agree that finding another MD or specialist is a good thing...it can create problems when they don't agree and you don't know who is right?
As for the cost of IVF, I have no idea how people can afford it either. My DH had to switch insurance coverage and now everything is considered a "pre-existing condition" so we are paying a ton even just for testing. But, foxy is right, if you make saving a priority above all other expenses then maybe you can save more than you think!
Good Luck!
http://faithfulplans.blogspot.com/