Lilypie Maternity tickers

Sunday, August 2, 2015

Cryptosporidium parasitic diarrhea? Yes please! Also this post brought to you by TMI

So my "la la la, I can't believe how easy and fast this pregnancy has been going, who knew twins would be easier to carry than 1, I am perfect and clearly these fetuses are too" motto has changed to "I am so over this is it 38 weeks yet?"

Early last week I began having back pain.  Very similar to when I had two bulging disks back in 2010.  The pain is in my lower spine, radiating down my legs at times.  Clearly this is from the added weight to my front.  It is extremely annoying, only certain positions help, and at times walking is difficult.  I am using Biofreeze, tylenol, and have emergency anti-steroidals prescribed by my fetal-med specialist but I have only taken one dose as they are category D.  

So Monday and Tuesday were spent dealing with this new development, but NBD.  It is so hot I am not up for much anyway.  P goes to summer school 3 mornings a week, there has been a bit more iPad youtube video watching than good for her, but oh well.  She also spends hours playing dolls, using her imagination and coloring so I am not going to stress about added screen time.  

Tuesday I started having diarrhea.  Approximately 4 times that day. Immediately I knew something was up.  I began super hydrating myself, and got some Zofran from the pharmacy to deal with the accompanying nausea (love that it's over the counter here).  I had my gestational diabetes test that day, and it made me feel AWFUL.  I almost passed out in the waiting room.  The good news is I passed.

Wednesday I had only a few episodes.  I had an appt with my dr that day, he believed it was viral, or perhaps I was having some gallbladder issues.  My appt went well, cervix long and closed, bp low, babies weighing over 2 lbs.  He told me to keep doing what I was doing and see a GI specialist if my symptoms got worse.

Wednesday night I had pain like you wouldn't believe.  I was half afraid they were contractions, but since my cervix looked so good that day on u/s I decided they weren't.  I had diarrhea 3 times overnight from 9pm - 3am which is insane, who poops overnight besides babies?  At 4 am I decided to go to the ER.  Once there I began going like every 15 mins, and not a normal color or odor either (I will not go into more detail, you're welcome).  They took blood, urine and stool samples, started an IV of saline, gave me zofran IV, and had midwives come down from OB to monitor babies and contractions.  Luckily no contractions were picked up, heart rates were good.  Then the OB resident on call came down and did an u/s (my second in 16 hours lol) and all looked good.  She pointed out that they had their heads together like they were telling secrets.  

After 3 hours the ER doc came in and said I tested positive for cryptosporidium.  Basically it is a water-borne parasite.  Symptoms usually last 1-2 weeks but can last 4-6 weeks, oh fun!  Side effects are dehydration and weight loss.  Super fun for someone pregnant with twins!  No cure, no treatment besides nausea meds and hydration.  

Thursday and Friday were two of the sickest days of my life.  I was going like 20-24 times a day, just liquid, and my 3 hemorrhoids reached gigantic states.  Every bm was, in my own words, "like getting ass raped with a dagger".  

Saturday and Sunday I felt bad about half the time, only went maybe 5 times each day.  Sunday I actually seemed to have some constipation which I do not for the life of me understand.  Now it's Monday morning, and so far I feel pretty good.  Woke up with heartburn and back pain, but no colon pain.  26+2.

11 comments:

  1. ugh I am soooo sorry! Glad you are feeling better today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, that sounds AWFUL! I'm so glad you're starting to feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds terrible!!! I'm so sorry you are dealing with this, ugh, so terrible and so gross and so painful.

    As for regular pregnancy aches and pains, I am in love with my Bella Band!!! I have been wearing it since 28 weeks this pregnancy and I used to wear it in the car last pregnancy (just lying around the house I didn't wear it though maybe I should have). I just wore it around my middle, not holding anything up, just holding my belly in and helping take pressure off my back. I love love love it. I wear mine every day now and when I take it off at night sometimes I can barely breathe because my belly weight is pulling me down so hard. I highly recommend it especially if you're still trying to be up and about, it is amazing.

    Also my kids' heads were together like that, the doctors also told me it looked like they were telling secrets :) For me it was because baby A was breech and B was transverse, and because I spent most of my day lying on my left side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I got a belly brace thing, and it does seem to help the back pain a little, but it makes my bladder so uncomfortable. Maybe I will try it higher up!

      Delete
  4. OMG, you poor woman. I am so sorry to read this and I hope that you are starting to feel better. I am thinking of you and sending some "binding" thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mouth agape over here!
    Duuuuuude! You poor thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh you poor poor thing. That just sounds hideous on every level.
    I hope you feel better really really soon.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks love, I think (fingers crossed) that it is getting better.

      Delete