Lilypie Maternity tickers

Thursday, April 2, 2015

Sinus infection during pregnancy is FUN

Obvi the title lies.  I have a sinus infection, bilateral ear infections, and possible pneumonia.  It is simply miserable not being able to take Sudafed, Afrin, Ibuprofen, etc.  I was lucky enough not to get much in the way of illness during my last pregnancy (nothing contagious anyway!).  I went to my GP yesterday and he said my right sinus was so swollen and inflamed that it had completely blocked my eustachian tube in that ear.  That explains why my head has felt like a balloon that needs to pop!

I started 36 hours ago on Amoxil three times daily, which I think is just starting to work.  I have the slightest bit of relief which is enough to make me grateful.  I hate taking an antibiotic while pregnant, but my OB agreed that it is the best one, proven to be safe, and the GP said the infection was bad enough that it wouldn't clear up easily without meds.  For the past 3 nights I have also taken Doxylamine 10mg (unisom) to help me sleep.  It is actually an antihistamine, so it helped the nose a little, but more than that it knocked me out enough that I could sleep sitting up with my mouth hanging open.  My OB swears this med is safe too, and I researched it and I guess it is commonly used with Vitamin B6 for morning sickness?  Maybe that explains why my nausea has been less severe the past couple days.

DH and Pipsqueak flew home last night.  I was supposed to as well but my Dr said no way could I fly.  Not only because of the sinus and ear stuff, but he took blood to test for Mycoplasma Pneumoniae.  Some highly contagious thing that is going around.  The results won't be back until early next week so I am flying home Tuesday night now.  So that means I am missing Easter with my daughter :-(  I am sure she will have fun with her Daddy, Uncle, cousins, and grandparents.  They've been gone 24 hours and I miss them already!  Although I did take a 3 hour nap today and that was pretty darn wonderful...

2 comments:

  1. Oh no! I am so sorry you weren't able to travel. Have you ever tried a nasal spray? I have chronic sinus issues but the spray does help.

    Hope you get better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you poor thing. That sounds just miserable. :( I hope you are well enough to fly on Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete