The advice you guys gave me was on spot. When I tried a few months ago she wasn't ready. So I gave her 2 months off, then attempted again. Here is what we did:
-Ceremoniously bought underwear, let her pick any kind she wanted (strawberry shortcake and hello kitty thank you very much).
-Had a kiddy potty and a seat that goes on the regular toilet available, I've heard different kids have different favorites. She ended up liking sitting up high on the "big kid potty" more, so we use the little one as a step stool at the sink.
-Made a potty chart, one sticker for each success, 10 stickers equals a toy (didn't get the toy until like sticker 30 but she didn't notice lol).
-Occasionally gave a lollipop for successes but luckily she usually forgot to ask for it.
-Day 1 = underwear all day long no matter what, except for sleep. I let her have accidents. I even let her stay wet for a few minutes so she would understand the concept and how uncomfortable this felt. Encouraged lots of potty time, with iPad or books or whatever made her sit.
-Her nursery school was on board, and the first week there she only had one accident.
-The first few days she left several wet puddles around the house (luckily here we have all tile floors) and a few very yucky #2 incidents.
By day 5 she stopped having accidents! She now hasn't had any accidents in over a week. Most naps and mornings she wakes up dry as well but I am keeping her in pull ups because she is still in her crib and wow I don't want to yet face helping with potty time in the middle of the night. If I wanted to deal with human waste in the middle of the night I'd have a baby. HAHAHAHAHA!
I am so very proud of her.
The funniest things that have happened:
-The first time I was teaching her how to wipe she looked down at her front and said, "I have another butt! I have two butts!". I used this as a teaching opportunity and she now likes to talk about her "gina".
-When out to eat this weekend she was dancing between some tables (as you do) and suddenly grabbed her crotch and yelled at the top of her lungs, "Oh no my butt!!!!".

this is great to read - thank you! And congratulations to your little one!!! We are in the preparation phases of the potty training adventure ourselves...but I'm in no major rush, since magpie just turned two. great job!
ReplyDeletesounds like you are having success AND lots of laughs! that is great! thanks for visiting my blog today!
ReplyDelete