I started out overweight when we started IVF. I gained 40 pounds while pregnant. All through my pregnancy and first 12 weeks of post partum I cared very little about it - all that mattered was her health and that breast feeding was going well - days I restricted calories I noticed a drop in my supply - and my supply was never overabundant to start with so I ate about 2000-2500 calories a day for the first year of Pipsqueak's life.
Breast-feeding alone got me down to just below my pre-IVF weight. I know this because I was eating like a pig and hardly exercising. MIRACLE! I sometimes wonder if I should have continued pumping/nursing for years....LOL.
I started walking with her when she was quite young and when she turned one I began walking 4-5 times a week on the treadmill during naps. Nothing dramatic, just 30 mins at a moderate pace. I also began tracking calories on my phone, aiming for around 1500 cals a day but usually ending up near 2000. Definitely less than I had been though. I think both of these things did affect my supply - and I think that's what encouraged her to wean herself - she was sick of not getting much.
2 weeks ago I began Couch to 5k. I am on Week 3 Day 2 today. I have NEVER been a runner - but am really enjoying this program. I have no aspirations of being a serious marathon runner ever - but have a goal to be able to jog most of a Mother's 5k on Mother's Day with some friends. We shall see - if I walk most of it I won't be too mad at myself. I ordered the new Graco jogging stroller and it should arrive Thursday - I am sooo excited to run outside!
Here is my weight record. Maybe sharing here will motivate me more!!!!
5' 6.5"-height
177 - wedding day weight in 2009.
193 - pre IVF weight in 2011 - BMI 30.7 - Obese range. NOT OK
233 - delivery day weight - OMG
201 - weight 12 weeks post partum - I think most of what I had lost up to then was water weight.
191 - weight approx 9 months post partum - thank you breast-feeding!
178 - weight now - BMI 28.3 - Overweight range. Much better
I am very proud of myself. My goal has been to get down to my wedding day weight and I am almost there! 165 is like my dream weight so maybe I can hit that too.
Breast-feeding alone got me down to just below my pre-IVF weight. I know this because I was eating like a pig and hardly exercising. MIRACLE! I sometimes wonder if I should have continued pumping/nursing for years....LOL.
I started walking with her when she was quite young and when she turned one I began walking 4-5 times a week on the treadmill during naps. Nothing dramatic, just 30 mins at a moderate pace. I also began tracking calories on my phone, aiming for around 1500 cals a day but usually ending up near 2000. Definitely less than I had been though. I think both of these things did affect my supply - and I think that's what encouraged her to wean herself - she was sick of not getting much.
2 weeks ago I began Couch to 5k. I am on Week 3 Day 2 today. I have NEVER been a runner - but am really enjoying this program. I have no aspirations of being a serious marathon runner ever - but have a goal to be able to jog most of a Mother's 5k on Mother's Day with some friends. We shall see - if I walk most of it I won't be too mad at myself. I ordered the new Graco jogging stroller and it should arrive Thursday - I am sooo excited to run outside!
Here is my weight record. Maybe sharing here will motivate me more!!!!
5' 6.5"-height
177 - wedding day weight in 2009.
193 - pre IVF weight in 2011 - BMI 30.7 - Obese range. NOT OK
233 - delivery day weight - OMG
201 - weight 12 weeks post partum - I think most of what I had lost up to then was water weight.
191 - weight approx 9 months post partum - thank you breast-feeding!
178 - weight now - BMI 28.3 - Overweight range. Much better
I am very proud of myself. My goal has been to get down to my wedding day weight and I am almost there! 165 is like my dream weight so maybe I can hit that too.

Congrats on the continued weight loss even after weaning. I know I really had to change my habits and become conscious of what I was eating once I started having trouble with E. nursing at about ten months. Before that I was eating constantly and still losing weight. It was wonderful!
ReplyDeleteAnd yay for running! It is addictive!
xoxo
T.
Yea for couch to 5k. You are doing so good. I wish that breast feeding had worked for me and that I could have had the weight loss benefits from it. Oh well. I just did w3d1 today.
ReplyDelete