Lilypie Maternity tickers

Friday, February 18, 2011

Why can't we just talk like grown-ups?

Good news!  DH got his genetic tests back and all is well!  Normal karotype, no Y micro-deletion, no Klinefelters.  And so far...no discernible reason for his low sperm count/low to normal testosterone.  So WTF?  Why is it low? WHY WHY WHY?!?!?

So, I suppose this means no donor sperm, at least not yet.  It will be moved to the backburner for now and reserved as more of a back-up option. 

DH and I 'talked' this morning about things.  I use quotes because really a lot of it was what I call yelling.  He says he wasn't yelling, I said I wasn't crying (we were on the phone), we were both lying.  We were both happy that the genetic tests were normal, of course.  We've agreed we need a sit down with Dr P (urologist).  DH said when they talked a few weeks ago he was recommending 6 months of clomid and another drug he couldn't remember (Started with an M?  DH thought it was something like misoprop-something?  Anybody have a clue?).  He said it would take 6-8 months to see any changes.  Then we re-evaluate and see if we can get numbers up enough to do IUI or (shocker!) intercourse.  Seriously, we have been so knee-deep in infertility shit that the thought of having a child from sex seems laughable.  That's something that only happens in the movies, right? ;)

If that doesn't work then it is IVF.  So then the money talk began.  That's when we always have our fun.  I am pro baby, no matter the expense.  DH is pro-waiting for God knows how long until we are financially stable.

Now I agree with most of what he says.  I wouldn't want to put 20k on the credit card for IVF.  Duh, that seems stupid.  BUT I think in 9 months to a year we could save up maybe 10k...and I think then going into 10k debt for a 3 cycle plus option is fine. OR we could just do one cycle at around 7-8k and hope for the best.  We could definitely have that in 6-12 mos. 

THEN DH says, "Let's just wait until we move and try to get a job in a state that has infertility coverage".  Umm, we have talked about moving like 1 1/2-2 years from now, IF we can find jobs elsewhere and IF we can sell our house.  SO right there, 2 conditions that would have to be met for this to even have a chance of working.  And even then the coverage may not be as great as he thinks.  AND isn't there sometimes something like a time period before you can even use the benefits?  UUUGGHH!

I just know one day I will suddenly be 38, almost eggless, and we will still be talking about when it is right for IVF.

Sorry for the rant.  I am just SO fucking sick of infertility causing strife in my marriage.

1 comment:

  1. Sex = Babies?
    What? You've got to be kidding!
    Oh wait, it does, you're right. It happens in the movies, and in my friends bedrooms. But for us, alas, sex has nothing to do with babies. :(

    ps- financially stable is a myth... Something always happens to make you unstable- a broken car, a new roof, ivf, sometimes I wonder why we ever bother to save, if there is always something that comes and takes all the money away anyways!

    ReplyDelete